While the Oscar telecast is already too long, I think that the Academy Awards' easiest fix would be simply to break up the awards into Drama and Comedy. How would this help?
1) It would honor actors, actresses, and films who typically get snubbed because they appear in comedies.
2) It would allow us to see more winners we want to see and open us up to the potential for funnier and more charming presenters and winners.
3) It would fill the time where ridiculous stuff normally winds up being shoved.
4) It would bring back viewers who might actually get to see a movie they've seen honored.
5) It would bring more interesting celebrities to the broadcast itself.
6) It would lighten the mood.
Does it cheapen the show to do this? I'd argue it doesn't, especially given the fact that an actor can crush it in a comedy and still see their efforts ignored because someone pulled off a good accent or malady on screen. The Academy could still have a overall "Best In Show" award in some or all categories.
Or they could simply pump laughing gas into the